Friday, March 8, 2013

Highschool Survival

Something many people don't realize is the world is so much bigger then high school. It seems that everyone is just worried about fitting in. Whether who was "hot or not" won't matter in a few years from now. I remember what it was like to try to look my best at all the football games and make sure he noticed me. I was obsessed with being popular and being accepted. I was so desperate for attention from anyone. You know I was strutting my stuff in my booty-jeans shorts and Victoria Secret Bombshell, but you know what? No matter the amount of attention I got I was never satisfied or happy. Society makes us think we we should obsess over is: Who is going out with who, being single is looked down upon, being the skinniest and tallest girl in your class, getting the most likes and retweets, and trying to have as many fake relationships as possible. Well, society has it all wrong.

Are you not exhausted of hiding you really are and putting up a front. Aren't you tired of being what society wants you to be rather then yourself. Society tells us we should be skinny with big boobs. We are supposed to be beautiful and blonde. We must wear designer clothes, listen to the right music, and always say the right things. We are supposed to put up with boy's unfair treatment and crude comments. We are never to be seen in public with sweatpants or with no makeup. Well, that simply isn't realistic. It's okay to be you. Highschool shouldn't be a time for fitting in but for standing out. It's a time to find out who you are and what you like. It's a time to explore everything; to fall in love, get your heart broken, and repeat. Discover what you're good at and who your real friends are.

8th grade year I was obsessed with going with the flow and being accepted. When I accepted Christ the summer going into high school my whole view changed. God made me perfect the way I am and I should embrace that. I changed my style, hair color, and music in the snap of a finger. I got to be me. I went out in public makeup free and felt beautiful because I knew no one's opinion besides God's doesn't mater. When I was in front of boys I didn't put up a front. I was my loud, obnoxious laughing self. I stopped listening to the radio and started listening to bands. I now am officially in love with Bon Iver. I started wearing the clothes I wanted to wear. I stopped carrying about my weight or appearance and enjoyed my life the way God  intended it to be lived.

Are you really being you? You were made specially and personally, so embrace that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts here....